Pages

October 9, 2004

mystery berry


Friday, October 8

This evening we went out to our favorite local Thai restaurant in town for dinner. It seems that I'd always go back to one of my same regular dishes (curries or larb salad), but they had changed their menu a bit and introduced a dozen of new dishes, so I had to try one of them - noodle soup. I ordered it hot, and it turned out to be seriously hot; I think I have relatively higher tolerance for spicy heat, but it was fiercely hot. Plus, there was a huge pile of cilantro, which I promptly removed from the bowl, but the whole soup and noodle smelled and tasted like coriander... mmmm... I had vaguely expected that the soup might be smelly with cilantro, but it turned out to be worse. Oh well, even so, I managed to finish the noodle and it was, somehow, tasting good.

And here comes the dessert, the spotlight of the day - ice cream of your choice with tapioca in sweet coconut milk sauce. A few months back I posted a story and a picture of this dessert, and ever since then I would always choose ginger ice cream. Today I felt a wee bit adventurous and tried something new, the thing I had always wondered about: pohaberry.

I don't think I ever heard of pohaberry anywhere but this very Thai restaurant. We didn't have any idea or whatsoever as to what kind of berry it is. Then our dessert arrived. We were totally puzzled at the sight of it - where are the berries? Well, the small yellow flakes must have been it. (The red ones are strawberries as a decoration, obviously.)


Since they were so small pieces we couldn't taste it very well, but we thought it tasted a sort of like peach. We were now even more puzzled, but finished it anyways. It tasted good.

And when we got home, I searched on the net for the mystery "berry" and figured out that pohaberry might possibly be, or something similar to, physalis pruinosa, aka ground cherry, husk tomato, tomatillo, cape gooseberry, or something like it. Interesting learning.

7 comments:

mela said...

I've had poha berry jam in the past. =)

Reid said...

Hi Chika,

That dessert looks really good. I'm glad that you actually like the taste of poha berry, not very many people do. It's grown on the Big Island and it actually makes a very nice jam. You should try some if you can find it in the stores there.

Alicat said...

What a pretty dessert! I don't live anywhere near a place where I could try that berry, alas! :(

Bekah said...

Mmmm.... that tapioca looks WONderFUL!! :-)
I love the great pictures that you take of food. You are a regular stop on my list of blogs that I visit.

chika said...

Hi ladies,

mela - ooo, is that the same as "poha berry butter"? that's about the only one thing I know of using poha berry :o

Reid - Really?? The ice cream didn't have too much of the berry and had a very faint taste of SOMETHING... :P

alicat - yeah there aren't really many places where they have such a cute dessert over here, either :(

Bekah - it looked good, and it tasted good, too!
Thanks for your kind words :)

Anonymous said...

Poha berries! Cape gooseberries. Goldenberries. I call them lanternberries, because the papery skin they come in looks like a chinese lantern. Call them what you will, I've had them and thought they tasted and smelled YUMMY! Tart, tangy, tasty, just enough sweetness to balance out the tart taste -- really WOKE UP my mouth! Yum! I bet the jam is delectable, but I had the fruit FRESH! DeeeeLECtable! A lucky find in my supermarket, in plastic containers, already peeled from their "lanterns" 

Posted by Sparkina

Sparkina said...

Poha berries! Cape gooseberries. Goldenberries. I call them lanternberries, because the papery skin they come in looks like a chinese lantern. Call them what you will, I've had them and thought they tasted and smelled YUMMY! Tart, tangy, tasty, just enough sweetness to balance out the tart taste -- really WOKE UP my mouth! Yum! I bet the jam is wonderful, but I had the fruit FRESH! DeeeeLECtable! A lucky find in my supermarket, in plastic containers, already peeled from their "lanterns." Lord only knows when I'll find them again. That time, I bought every container of these yummy fruits that the store had!