Pages

August 4, 2004

if you like them, throw them all in!


Tuesday, August 3

Yesterday I baked zucchini bread again, using the same recipe that my friend gave me and now had spread among us on the net. It was only my third time making it, but I liked it more and more every time I made it.

After I already measured some of the ingredients, I found out that I only had one egg in the fridge; I had adjusted the amount of ingredients so that I'd use two eggs. What should I do? Well, if you haven't got it, you make substitution; I used some soy milk in addition to the egg. Then I also replaced some of the oil with flax seed meal, not because I didn't have enough oil, but just felt like it. When I took out some walnuts from the fridge, I took notice of the leftover grated coconuts; might as well, use it up, I thought and roasted them together with the walnuts. And as a self-appointed hard-core ginger abuser, I also added chopped crystallized ginger.


Loaded with all the goodies, the loaves of zucchini bread came out tasty as ever, even if this time it substantially deviated from the original. Because of molasses sugar and brown sugar that I used, my zucchini bread had a deep brown color inside; they might not be looking pretty, but tasted oh-so-good. Thanks to my friend we call OLE MISS, the very one who made this recipe, I am here sharing her recipe with you all - see the comment below.

******

For dinner I made rosemary lemon-lime pasta. I found the recipe in Dean & DeLuca: The Food and Wine Cookbook (Jeff Morgan, 2002, Chronicle Books). Everything in the recipe was my favorite stuff - rosemary, lemon, lime, and parmesan cheese, all combined together in olive oil, salt and pepper. Sounds fantastic!
I gingerly grated cheese (parmigiano reggiano, of course), juiced a lemon and lime, chopped rosemary, while boiling the water and cooked pasta; this time I tried corn pasta that I recently heard should be good.
The sauce was ready in a matter of 10-15 nutes, and by the time the pasta was done, we were ready to eat. When I threw the drained pasta into a bowl of sauce, its remaining heat bloomed the aroma of the citrus and rosemary... that was enough to put a smile on my face.


The finished dish was lovely, although it was a bit too salty; I didn't even put much salt in the sauce, but the cheese was quite salty and the amount of pasta I cooked wasn't matching the sauce (I made about a half the amount of sauce in the recipe while I cooked about one third of pasta required). Nevertheless, I really like the dish and will definitely make it again.

9 comments:

Maplelilly said...

ooooh yum!That bread looks and sounds incredible

chika said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chika said...

Hi Maplelilly,
Thanks! It really was good, and many of us like it a lot. :-)

chika said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chika said...

Doh, I've been messing up posting a comment :-(

Here is a translation of the zucchini bread recipe of my friend, OLE MISS-san, who creatively tested out zucchini bread recipes and worked out her own version. Since this uses a lot less sugar and fat, those who seek for "authentic", hearty American zucchini bread might find it too light, but if you prefer a lighter, more delicate kind like I do, this one is for you. Enjoy!

+++ZUCCHINI BREAD OLE MISS SPECIAL+++

Ingredients
a)
1/2 - 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup grated zucchini (*see directions for preparation)
1+1/2 eggs
vanilla extract
b)
1+1/8 - 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg (optional)

coarsely chopped walnuts, as much as you please

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 190C (375F). Butter a loaf pan. Sift all the dry ingredients (b).
2. Prepare zucchini. Rub the zucchini with salt; sprinkle salt over the zucchini, and roll it on a cutting board, in a way you do when rolling out a cookie dough with a rolling pin, until the skin of zucchini becomes tender. Rinse well under running water. Grate the zucchini and make one cupful. Drain, and squeeze out excess fluid (but do not squeeze all the way). Set aside.
3. Combine all the wet ingredients (a) in a bowl. Mix well.
4. Fold in the flour mixture, then add the nuts.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for about 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for several minutes, then turn the cake out onto the rack and cool completely.

+++

Rubbing the zucchini with salt will help remove excess bitterness of zucchini, making the resulting bread taste milder. A typical recipe for zucchini bread would use more sugar and oil that can mask the bitterness of zucchini, but I like this moderately sweet version.

I tend to make it in a bit bigger batch, adjusting the amount of the ingredients so that I use two eggs (I just can't handle "half the egg" leftover). With that increment, I typically use one large zucchini (you might not use up a whole zucchini, but you can keep the excess in the fridge). When using raw nuts in baking I usually roast them before putting in the batter, and I do the same with this cake. Nutmeg is optional in this recipe, but I do use it because I like it.

Cat - sorry it took me so long to post the recipe.

Many thanks ro OLE MISS-san :-)

Anonymous said...

This is probably a stupid question but...Do you grate the green skin too or do you just use the inside of the zuchini?
~Andrea

chika said...

Hi Andrea,
Skin and flesh, inside and out!

mela said...

That rosemary lemon-lime pasta sounds great. I love your blog, it always makes me want to cook =)

chika said...

Hi Mela,
thanks for your encouraging words :-)
The sauce was pretty good, and so easy to make!